Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wine


If you're a wine lover, France is the place to be. There are so many good options to try that are not very expensive if you are a novice. Par contre, there are some very expensive wines here as well but even the less expensive ones suffice. We attended a wine seminar on Monday on campus that was presented by one of our professors, who says that the wines of New York are exceptional--woot woot!

To be raised in France, one is accustomed to reading labels and appelations. To be raised in the USA, one knows when to use ketchup. Its funny on one hand and sad on the other depending on your perspective of course. One of my colleagues recently made pancakes for her host family to share her American heritage (I dare not use the word "gastronomy"). Everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed the pancakes but the man of the house asked what wine would be appropriate to serve with this dish. This is how the French (particularly the men) think about meals. Its like a fine wine: one must take time in a to savor the aromas, spices and flavors of a meal, accompanied by the appropriate wine, bien sur!

Before I left, many people asked me if I would be near "the wine region of France". I tried not to have a perturbed and dumbfounded look on my face because there are so many regions of France are viticultural. Most Americans know some names like Bordeaux or Beaujolais but do not have any concept as to what that means. More on that later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue B here. Sorry it has taken me so long to comment. I truely have been on a jouney as well. Sr. Care is a college degree in itself! Making progress and trying to persevere with joy. Speaking of which.. look at you! You are so in the right place (figurativley and literally!) So glad for you! I caught up on ypour blog last Monday and made copious commnets all of which did not come through ( and they were damn clever too!)but think I have it figured out now. So much fum to check in every once in a while. I relly need this little escape with you. Thanks!

sailorshamrock said...

J'adore ce photo.