Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cuisine Partie Deux


One of my profs explained to us on the first or second day that happiness for the French passes by the mouth. Really, its true, its not just food to the French, its a ceremony of fine cuisine and gastronomy. They will never admit that they have fast-food restaurants that are in fact French enterprises. I have had wonderful meals so far both with my family and at school. I tried boudin for the first time: sausage made of pork, blood and parsley. Its safe to say that its not my favorite thing that the Germans introduced to the French and they should have kept it on their side of the border. However, we have had shrimp, croque-monsieur (grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with a creme fraiche on top), grilled sausages (that were not boudin), creamed spinach, salad with a mustard sauce or raspberry vinaigrette, bread, bread, and more bread! The French have a saying that compares anything sad to a day without bread. This morning for example, I had croissants with chocolate inside for breakfast. My American side says "what did I do deserve such a sweet surprise," but the French side of me says "Bof, its France and I can do whatever the hell I want!" I like my French side better because its a bit more logical ;) I raise my bowl of coffee and chocolate croissant and say "Vive la France" because I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try to start as many days as I can with pain au chocolat when I'm in France. Lucky you...it's just not the same in the U.S.

CL