Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Coffee With Zee Nuns


Since I posted info about food/drink I should mention one particular occasion in which I had coffee. This past weekend, as I mentioned, I went to Saumur with my family to visit the castle there and will be there for another 50 yrs under construction. My host mother is a widow and her husband came from a family of 12 children. Needless to say we have lots of visitors at our house! One of his sisters is a "sister" aka nun at a convent in Saumur. Since we were already there, we stopped in for une petite visite (everything is "petit" here because one musn't exert oneself). When we rang the bell (really was a bell attached to a long string), a nun appeared to greet us who knew my host mother because there have been several family gatherings at this particular convent (go figure--these nuns are party animals). Her sister-in-law, the sister, was not there unfortunately but we were welcomed anyhow to enter and have some coffee and cookies with them. We entered and sat at a large table with 3 aging nuns, antique coffee sets and a plate of cookies. They were very lovely, actually, and made fine company for the late afternoon. One of them gave me a souvenir book of the abbey and chapel and gave us a tour of the school attached. Who would have thought I'd be drinking coffee with nuns at a convent?

This post is dedicated to no one other than Jan--winks and hugs to her!

No comments: