Friday, July 6, 2007

Cours de Conversation

I have already mentioned that I'm taking a conversation course and that I was placed in the highest level. So far, we haven't had a lot of homework but we have had some. We have been given the task of finding out phrases/idioms that use animals and body parts to express various situations i.e. I'm so hungry I could eat a horse, etc. Thats been fun to discuss with my family and we get a kick (one of our idioms) out of these expressions especially à table. I also had to choose a newspaper article, read it for comprehension, prepare a summary and pick out 5 words that are essential to the comprehension of the article. I chose an article about a recent summit in Brussels where new French prez, Nicolas Sarkozy, presented his ideas of political reform. I was in the mood for some light reading, I guess ;). I had my presentation today where I explained the article and the important vocabulary. I also had an oral critique, where I was given the task of reading a paragraph for pronunciation purposes. I did pretty well, though I was interupted by the prof to fine tune certain words.

Now, we have to find expressions that use the word "coup" and there are quite a few. One of my colleagues asked our prof at the table today for a "coup de rouge" referring to the red wine he couldn't reach. So now we're are in the process of searching (read: casually coming across) such expressions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying this vicarious experience. Right before you left, I read that Angers is one of the most beautiful towns in France: High praise! I am TOTALLY green. (But my conversation skills would never get me at the highest level.)

Too bad about La Vie en Rose...but I'll spare you my rendition of the Piaf canon.

Happy anniverary!

CL

sailorshamrock said...

I know a fabulous grand total of two!!!! Yeah!!! One of them you taught us, and I never forgot 'cause I used it in a story. Celebrate!
Coup de foudre...et tu sais l'autre.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! i am so glad you are traveling for me so i can see everything on the other side of the pond. the pictures are beautiful! sounds like you're the brainiac of the bunch. go american! have a great time. enjoy yourself. happy anniversary. i'll e-mail sean. later. elfie