Thursday, July 12, 2007

Cars and Drivers



I have always said that the French consider pedestrians as "hood ornament decorations" However, Angers has improved the view I have of French drivers--a little/un peu! An observation, if I may, about Americans: if a sign is posted that says "no parking" or something to that effect, 9 times out of 10, no one dares to park in forbidden zones. We are the land of the free, right? The French excel at employing any liberty known to man as the first word of their national motto happens to be "liberté" (followed by égalité and fraternité). Parking is not an exact science here to say the least. Drivers park their cars where they fit and fortunately the cars, for the most part, are small enough that they can be placed almost anywhere. If there is not enough street parking, any sidewalk or fire hydrant will do, or perhaps, any combination thereof!

Here in Angers, drivers are pretty calm and forgiving if a pedestrian is in their way. There is a law here in France that forbids driving through a crosswalk when a pedestrian is in one or about to cross the street. The Angevins (ppl of Angers) adhere to this for the most part unlike Parisians--yikes--where one might be truly taking their lives in to their own hands!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I will show this entry to my son Zach who is living and parking in DC these days. He loves the metro for this very reason. Sue B

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday doodey-doo!! I hope you're havin a blast and enjoying the huge party France is throwing for you today! I'm ticked I missed your call... that's what i get for actually being diligent!

E-dawg

Anonymous said...

No matter how well the French drive, for me driving in France is always nerve-wracking, largely because I don't know the rules of the road, and my sense of direction is all skewed. And whenever I've had to drop off cars in Paris, I am more than ready for a stiff drink. Not France's fault...just being a traveler.