Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mon Anniversaire--Part Trois





The reason I'm rambling on and on about my birthday is because there are many events tied to it because its the national holiday in France. As a result, we did lots of things. Saturday, my actual birthday, we went to Doué-la-Fontaine to see a rose exposition. This town has many underground caverns and caves which makes the exposition far more interesting than just going to a garden shop for example. The roses were a part of shapes that were turned into a large display.

After the expo, we had dinner in a subterranean restaurant called l'Ammonite. The restaurant is in a cave and has various sections that are more intimate than others. Our little cave had 3 tables and one must reserved a couple weeks in advance to get a table. My host mother wanted to do something special for my birthday and this is what she chose. It was an amazing experience and I absolutely loved it! This is not really a fine dining experience as far as food is concerned its more for the ambiance really. For the dessert course, my host mom brought candles in the shape of numbers to show my new age. They also gave me gifts, as if dinner and the rose expo wasn't enough!

No comments: