Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Reunion


This is at our program's soirée. The last big hurrah of the summer.

This was taken just after a faux pas I committed which lead to great laughter. We're on a bus after having visited the Amboise and Chenonceaux castles.



After our program ended, everyone had different travel plans. Some of us were heading to Paris and decided to get together. Here we are!


Pierre and I got wet while walking to the Falls. We almost made it before the rain came down.

Its always a good time when you get to reunite with friends and loved ones. At the beginning of the summer, I had such a reunion. One of my friends that I met in Angers lives in the Midwest and was bringing a group of students to Québec. They were spending the first day driving from Indiana to Niagara Falls and staying the night there. The next day, they would continue on for a fun-filled week in Québec.

Pierre (né Peter) and I had such a great time in Angers last summer. We were in the same classes and have the same sick sense of humor. We laughed so hard most of the time, people were beginning to wonder about our well-being. Devious at times, we stuck together. One of our classmates called us the "jumeaux d'Angers" (the Angers twins). We asked him if the double entendre was intentional because it could have been understood as "jumeaux dangers" (danger twins). That flew over his head but fortunately we were swift enough to catch it. We both have a high tolerance of sarcasm and sick jokes as long as there is some sort of intellectual twist to it. Both Seinfeld fans as well.

One afternoon, Pierre and I were in a boutique near the Kent (café where we were permanent fixtures). Pierre was looking for a gift to bring back to his wife at the end of the summer. I tagged along to give him insight since this was a gift shop with lots of unique jewelry. The salesclerk approached us and asked if she could help us. Pierre told her he was looking for something for his wife. Not a second later, he looked at me and back at the salesclerk and said "she's not my wife." Looking a little startled as to who this "other" woman was, the salesclerk lost interest in us--or maybe was more interested, who knows. So, I said to Pierre, "yeah, you and every man in France." Even our professors thought something odd was going on because we had many inside jokes. That's what happens when you have class together, go to the café, visit museums and do other things together while drinking up the sights of France.

Anyhow, Pierre notified me of this trip to Québec and that was all that was needed. I went and had dinner with him and wandered around the Falls. I was so glad to meet my "twin" of either Angers or danger. Pierre and I are two peas in a pod for sure. I was glad to see my partner in crime again.

Its those rare delights that make life interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachael:

I'm enjoying your trips down Memory Lane. Keep writing.

Rachael said...

Merci CL! Its been fun getting the old band back together.