Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Opposite Way

This is me in Morocco.  The vendor told me I was truly like "une princesse marocaine"

I had to take my friend this morning and was living vicariously through her by going to the gateway to anywhere in the world:  the airport.  Since I am stuck on the ground for now, I was loving the opportunity to help someone else go out into the world.  While listening to the radio in my car on the way home, a song came on that I've heard before but never really listened intently to the lyrics.  Turns out this song really spoke to me because the first half was how I grew up.  The song?  "The Opposite Way" by Leeland.

It struck me because I've always felt like in my family, profession, among peers and in whatever I do, I do it the opposite way.  In short, life for me has brought with it isolation.  I tend to go against the grain, not in a rebellious way, just in a quest for something else.  Perhaps, an alternative solution, different mode, who knows.  This is quite different than how I grew up.  Picture it: small suburb of Rochester, NY where generations of family members have lived, worked, and died.  Its almost the secret handshake or unwritten rule of our family:  live in the same place and act accordingly.  

And then there's me.  Stuck in the middle of an expected lifestyle and uncharted territory.  In high school, while looking at colleges, I remember looking outside my limited scope of the world and sought elsewhere.  Unsure as to the consequences or rewards, I knew this town's perimeter was too small for me.  I chose a school in another state, 6 hours from home.  It was perfect.  My junior year, I knew the limits needed to be pushed yet again.  I went to France for a semester and came alive.  My fate was sealed that I could not go back to where I came from, geographically or philosophically.  It was time to move on to the opposite way.

My adventurous spirit has led me to Canada, France, Italy, Spain, Monaco, Costa Rica, Morocco, Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Haiti.  Whereas the bulk of my relatives have stayed within the confines of the same old way.  My grandfather always asks me when I'm coming home.  I guess I've been disappointing him for 14 years by doing other than the family norm.  I'm so far gone, he doesn't understand my need for globe trotting.  I'm not sure where I got it from--switched at birth?  Not likely.  I just have this inner desire to know what's out there and a documentary just won't cut it.  Some call it restlessness, I call it insatiable adventure.



7 comments:

The pale observer said...

Hi Rachael - great blog and interesting life!!

Please also check out my blog - I'm a Canadian living and working in Ghana, West Africa (surrounded by French speaking countries!). I write about the bizarre experiences in living here...

Cheers

Holli
www.hollisramblings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Traveling and making your own way in the world is part of growing up. Your parents have not stayed in suburban Rochester. They have seen some of the world also. Be thankful they gave you some roots as well as wings.

Rachael said...

Ok anonymous (aka family members of mine), traveling is not a part of growing up for most people. 20% of Americans possess a passport, case in point. And my parents have lived in suburban Rochester and will probably live there forever. Kudos to them for traveling though. My blog said "the bulk" of relatives not all of them.

As for giving me wings to travel, we did travel as a family to various places within the US. That definitely fueled my interest in seeing more, anywhere. Some of my proposed trips have been received reluctantly by them, though.

This was not meant to slight anyone in particular, just a connection I made with a song while enjoying a quiet moment by myself.

Anonymous said...

Hello, its me again. I was thinking about our conversation tonight regarding being cosmopolitan. I have decided (therefore so shall it be) that being cosmopolitan has nothing to do with where you live but instead has to do with who you are within. It's that desire to see other places and cultures along with actually going out and doing this. I suppose one could travel the world yet not be cosmopolitan with out the desire or vice versa. Anyway, I agree you are cosmopolitan. (Therefore so shall it be)
Agree with me or declare your irrelevance.

The Tom

Rachael said...

Tom:
Your comment spurred me to look up the actual definition of "cosmopolitan." It seems that many are having different reactions to the word because of connotation not denotation. I personally have thought of it as someone who lives in an urban setting and is cultured (be it well read, well traveled, aware of surrounding history and attends cultural events).

Webster states "Having no fixed residence; at home in any place; free from local attachments or prejudices; not provincial; liberal."

Curiosity often gets the best of me.

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting definition. I always believed cosmopolitan simply meant worldly or wise/understanding the ways of the world and other cultures. But if the little kid from the 80's sitcom says what you say he said then I must assume he knows what he is talking about.
Tom

Anonymous said...

Hello, I looked up cosmopolitan also and here is the definition I found: Containing chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry...wait this is the half gallon of ice cream I'm holding..um here it is...
According to the Random House College Dictionary:
1. belonging to all the world; not liimited to just one part of the political, social, commercial, or intellectual world.
2. Widely distributed over the globe.
3. Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments.
4. of or characteristic of a cosmopolite.
5. Citizen of the world.

This definition is more in line with what I was talking about. It's not being bound by geographic, political, or social boundries but being more open to all of it. Physically (traveling) and intellectually.

Tom

PS I know I am hitting rock bottom with the jokes (webster and now the ice cream one) but just like Sean this is what we do.