Saturday, August 30, 2008

Good Reads

Reading is a hobby many people enjoy. I only began to take to reading after high school and increasingly so after college. My preference is non-fiction. I tend to go for travel journals, grammar editorials and whatever strikes me. One could very well say that my choices are sporadic. Only in recent years have I begun to look for fiction. My reluctance with fiction is the author's ability to draw me in and keep my interest. It is not my intention to waste my time on some work that doesn't capture my attention. With a non-fiction work you have an idea of what its already about and want to learn something. Needless to say, I'm rarely disappointed. Fiction on the other hand, has let me down on many occasions where I am left thinking "thats a lot of hours out of my life I'll never get back." There are many authors I've attempted that people rave about so I try them. Often times, I hate myself for starting the book and won't forgive myself if I finish it. Maybe it does get better halfway through, but I'm not willing to devote my time to wait that long. A book better be a page-turner or I'm not interested.

One strategy I've found is paying close attention to movies that intrigue me in some way and finding out upon whose book it was based. That is how I got addicted to the Harry Potter series. I typically love children's movies, animated or real people. The buzz was already in full swing when the first Harry Potter movie was released. Prior to the movie, I really didn't know what the books were about, I knew the books were loved by children and adults alike but that didn't completely sell me on picking up a copy. The movie preview by contrast was so alluring! I saw the movie and thought to myself "wow, I could read that and love it." That's exactly what happened.

Another grievance I have is that I find an author whose writing I love to take in and read all their books. After exhausting their books, I find out that "that's all folks" and I'm stuck looking for a new author that will fulfill my reading desire. Many of the authors I am drawn to are still writing but its awhile until they publish again. Among these writers include J.K. Rowling, Peter Mayle and Dan Brown. When is that long awaited new Dan Brown book coming out?

I wish I could be more like my mom, sister and KSM, all of whom have great taste in books and get along with almost all authors. Again, its not easy being me. Anybody have another author for me to attempt?

3 comments:

Shamrock said...

Well, KSM thanks you for thinking she has great taste in books, but mostly it's just that it's easy for me to find authors. Increasingly, I'm finding that that's not true, and it's making life torture. I haven't been able to find an author superior enough to suit my expectations recently...

Rachael said...

I agree KSM. More times than not, I'm disappointed having wasted my time in hopes of a good read.

KHM said...

hey girls: my friend SPecial K has an excellent book blog at wellread1.blogspot.com. I always find great additions for my "must read" list there.

R, given your penchant for non fiction I'll bet you'd really love any of David McCullogh's biographies.