Friday, August 22, 2008

New Idea

The Haitian girl looking at the camera is named Rachelle 
(wa-shel is the pronunciation)

I have an idea and wanted to work it out in writing.  I find my ideas get worked out if I ramble in writing for awhile.  Without further ado, I was wondering about an adult French club in my area.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I attend a French group in the summer courtesy of the Women's Club in Chautauqua.  Its a wonderful opportunity to get together with speakers of French to stay on top of the skill.  As Proverbs 27:17 says:  "iron sharpens iron. so one man sharpens another."  

A woman in our summer group belongs to a year round group and says its wonderful.  She says its more formal than our summer group as we get together to talk about random topics that just come up in conversation, nothing predetermined.  In her year round group, they hold informal discussions, read books and newspaper articles and arrange topics to debate ahead of time.  This sounds really fun.  She invited me to join her group but its an hour away.

So, some questions remain:
  • will people be interested in such a group?
  • when is the opportune time to meet?
  • how frequently should a group like this meet?
I met a woman today who was born in France and immigrated to the US as a child.  She echoed the same lament of not having many opportunities to speak French often.  
 

1 comment:

Shamrock said...

this people would join the group if she were there. Once or twice a week would seem sufficient... Hmm... Good opportunity there. I'll have to look into that idea here... There are all sorts of resources for those looking to start a club...