Thursday, October 2, 2008

Take Time For Yourself

A sign in a museum in Angers.  It reads:  In this museum...As you please.  Muse, Converse, Smoke, Study, Touch, Mess, Look, Eat, Contemplate, Discover, Draw, Photograph, Stroll. Note: the crossed items on the sign are indicated by red text.

Today, I had the day off and the house to myself.  I had a list of things to do that would be productive but decided to scrap the list for the sake of my sanity.  This new job of mine has me on constant edge to the point that I do not take time for myself--not counting sleep.  Instead of doing dishes, laundry and changing the bed sheets I did some reading, watched tv and ate popcorn for lunch.  In addition to those activities, I went to Starbucks and had a pumpkin latté.  Generally, I'm not a coffee fiend but I do take advantage of a gift card if one comes my way.  Shortly, after I got there, there were only 2 young people working and I engaged them in conversation.  We had a nice time chatting and then a friend of mine walked in and we drastically changed the tone of the conversation--because we were speaking French.  What a rare delight to do one of my favorite things in a place I so rarely go.  Turns out, I may see one of these young people again as this person goes to places I go, etc.

Life is full of surprises and some of them are pleasant.  A nap, for instance, may be pleasant.

1 comment:

Shamrock said...

oh la la! How was the pumpkin latte? Sounds delish. Glad you got to speak French in a public place. I only mostly get to do Chinese, and then get laughed at by my Chinese friends if I slip even once. I do have one friend who likes to speak in French with me, but mostly, she catches me in the middle of a conversation in Chinese and the two really aren't that compatible.