Monday, October 6, 2008

Job Quandary

In Angers, I had to give a speech to all participants and professors of our program in honor of the retirement of my professor who was retiring from being director of the program. (yes it was in French).

As many of you know, I started a new job in August as a French Customer Service Agent. The title is more glamourous than the job. Basically, I work for a company that services customers worldwide in the arena of wi-fi.

I've learned a couple things about myself from this job. I do well explaining how to connect to the signal and all the techy talk needed. This is multi-faceted in and of itself. Sometimes its a very tech-savvy person that calls in and needs help and other times it is a person who barely can locate the power button. Either way, I've had a lot of success working with people needing tech support. Another thing I've learned about myself is that I'm a decent sales person. I even had an instance a couple days ago where the person was unable to connect after all of my tech support and troubleshooting efforts and I was still able to get them to upgrade their plan. Not bad! Its an interesting position to be in having to sell something to someone and explaining the reason for which they "need" the service. I put need in quotes because I ranted on needs vs. wants in another post.

The question that I am now facing is whether or not I should leave this current position for a sales position. This is a daunting choice because ultimately I'm betting on my ability to generate income on my own rather than a guaranteed paycheck.

Thoughts? Honestly, I'm interested in all feedback here. Give me your best shot.

4 comments:

Shamrock said...

Hmm... Does the sales position include speaking in French?

Rachael said...

it does not, unfortunately. however, its a risk i may be willing to take to add another skill set and level of experience to my resumé.

Shamrock said...

Well, I guess that's true. No idea. Sorry.

Rachael said...

that makes 2 of us. hmmm