Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lost

This is a grouping of rocks made into the form of a person.  The direction of the rocks shows the way to the village to assist those who are lost.  Typically, Huron Indian in Québec.

In the last year, I've felt lost a lot.  My life has been turned upside down.  I was catapulted out of my job and profession.  Its lead to a feeling of disorientation.  For the bulk of my life, it has been my priority to be in control and to have a plan.  Even though I've endured bumps in the road that were not on my agenda, THIS time in my life came without planning.  

Depending on the moment, the feelings have vacillated between victim and victor.  Did I cause this?  Did I get caught up in someone's wrath and become a casualty?  I'm not sure.  I'm still waiting on the right answer to come.

I am comforted by a few things in the midst of feeling lost:
  1. "All who wander are not lost."  -JRR Tolkein (disputable citation)
  2. "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."  -André Gide.
  3. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."  -Proverbs 3:5
What I take away from these things are that I may be wandering and perhaps I am headed in the right direction though it feels like I'm lost.  Additionally, I have to let go of my comfort zone with reckless abandon and check out the distant lands of life.  Finally, the Lord has my back because obviously I haven't been able to keep my own head above water despite my planning.  

1 comment:

Shamrock said...

Hmm, it's a good thing to have someone at your back. And wandering is nice sometimes.