Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Love Castles

Saumur, which is under renovation in the Loire Valley.
Angers in the city of Angers, where I suffered for the Lord last summer.
Château Frontenac in Québec City
Louvre in Paris.  Currently an art museum but originally built as a regal residence.
Palace of Versailles outside of Paris.  The largest castle/palace in France.
Chambord, the 2nd largest castle in France.  It boasts 440 rooms and a mere 365 fireplaces.
Chenonceau in the beautiful Loire Valley.  This one is built over the river Cher and is partly on land and partly over the river.

This is no joke.  I'm so enchanted by castles.  Just the idea of fairy tales, history, balls, dancing, glass slippers--I don't know what it is but I'm enthralled.  My poor niece has to suffer the brunt of my obsession at this point.  I buy her as many Disney Princess objects as possible!  Wait til she gets the tiara, scepter and bejeweled shoes!  I have visited castles in France, Spain, Québec and Morocco primarily.

When it comes to architecture, I prefer Renaissance over Medieval, Baroque and Rococo.  The bottom two pictures, Chambord and Chenonceau, are great examples of Renaissance architecture.  They are just beautiful which mirrors the function of Renaissance.  The main purpose of Medieval was protection, Baroque was decoration and ornamentation, and Rococo, glitz and excessive glamour.  Renaissance is just enough beauty with a delicate balance of form and function.  I mean really, 440 rooms is just enough.  Our friends at Aroma of Joy could use that room!  Besides its a stunning residence as well.  The kicker of Chambord is...its a hunting retreat for a weekend jaunt not a year-round, lived-in residence.

Its good to be king.  Apparently.

3 comments:

Plum Blossom said...

Good thing they didn't have to worry about heating and electricity bills....

Shamrock said...

Chambord is my favorite, as you may or may not know. Isn't that the one with the two huge spiral staircases? I seem to recall a conversation about playing hide-and-go-seek there. It would be incredible.

Rachael said...

Chambord is the one with the double helix staircase purportedly designed by Leonardo Di Vinci. It is a great place for a game of cache-cache! I wasn't sure I wanted to go into extensive detail about castles but maybe I will.