Sunday, August 5, 2007

Adjusting...

What's kind of interesting is the adjustments one has to make upon the return. Jet lag is obviously a crazy phenomenon that can take two days or so or weeks--too early to tell at this point.

Typing on my own keyboard, to which I am so accustomed, is one of those things with which I have great difficulty now. French keyboards are different, first of all, and second of all, I've been typing on them for the past 7 weeks. So here's a quick guide if there are letters out of place in my messages to help you decode: ; equals the letter "m".... / equals ! .....q equals a. Those seem to be the most common errors I have been making so far.

Speaking seems to be an issue as well. After having spoken exclusively in French for the past several weeks, my native tongue seems to be twisted. Witnesses say that I have been inserting French words into casual conversation and that I have difficulty finding the English word and can only think of the French equivalent.

Sacré Bleu! Its an odd feeling knowing that you know but you don't! Hard to describe, perhaps its the language barrier again!

Cheers to all,

Rachael

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you're home safely. i have enjoyed keeping up with you abroad. seems like you just left though. six weeks passed quickly. rest. elfie

La Belette Rouge said...

Rachel,
I am so very happy you stopped by my blog--so I found yours!!!! I will be visiting your blog often and diving into old posts.
I am off to I-tunes where I will be searching for your suggestions.
Merci,
LBR
p.s. Can you switch out keyboards to an American style one? Or,are you wanting to learn the French keyboard?

Kelley said...

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for your visit and using your "translation skills" on my blog this morning. As far as I can see you definitely deserve the Arte Y Pico award! I have truly enjoyed looking over your old posts. I hope to come back and read some more soon. Thanks for sharing your time in France, it is a blessing to those who have not had the opportunity to go there, at least not yet :)